Friday, May 22, 2015

Colonial, Uruguay

Yesterday we spent one more day in Uruguay before leaving for Buenos Aires.  After an early morning departure from the hostel in Montevideo, we arrived in Colonial, Uruguay around 11 a.m. Colonial is a picture perfect town located on the wide river that separates Argentina from Uruguay.  It reminded me very much of an old, historic European town, a little larger than Little Nashville, Indiana.  At any street corner one may find a cute little café to drink a coffee and relax, or a quaint hotel or gift shop.  The streets and alleyways are decorated with vegetation, flowers, trees, and ivy.  All the streets are brick.  It was like walking through a daydream the entire day.  I had a wonderful café con leche (coffee with milk) while I sketched a postcard-worthy alleyway, enjoyed a gourmet lunch with wine on the waterfront, and watched the sunset as I drank fresh lemoncello.  I could not have dreamt to have a better day because it was so relaxing and unexpected.  We had nowhere to be, nothing to do, and only the scenery to enjoy.  

Amanda and I spent a majority of the day with both of our professors, Ana and Jonathan, and another person from our group Ege.  The day in Colonial began with coffee and pastries when we first arrived.  We sat at the first café and sketched for about two-and-a-half hours.  During this time, Ana taught Amanda how to drink Mate, a tea-like drink custom to Uruguay’s culture. We wandered around town for a while before stopping for lunch at a nice restaurant tucked behind a small street corner with private access to the waterfront.  We sat, ate, talked, and drank for a few hours taking in the scenery.  After lunch, we wandered through town again, this time towards an old lighthouse.  We paid $1 U.S. dollar to walk to the top and see a panoramic of the picture-perfect city.  Amanda, Ege, and I headed for another café to sketch and enjoy the last couple hours in Colonial.  The waiter served us complimentary Lemoncello while we watched the sunset over the water.  It was so pretty; it almost beats the sunset I saw in Greece.  

I am having a hard time finding words to describe how magical yesterday was.  In this case, I think pictures speak so much more than I could even begin to describe.  Our time in Colonial sadly came to an end around 7 p.m. when we walked to the other side of town to catch a ferry to Buenos  Aires.  We only spent about 8 hours in Colonial, but I think I could spend a whole week there

No comments:

Post a Comment