Monday, May 25, 2015

La Boca in Buenos Aires, Argentina

Today is our last day in Benos Aires.  We had a fairly low-key day today with several pockets of down time.  This is really nice because we have to get up tomorrow at 3 a.m. to catch a flight to Iguazu.  I have been dreading that for a couple days now.  I know the early morning will be worth it, it will sure be a struggle to get going though. 

Today I got to wake up without an alarm, which was incredible.  A group of us headed out around 11 a.m. to get breakfast at a café.  We hung out and worked on our blogs until time to meet at Ana’s for lunch around 1 p.m.  Her apartment is located in a very nice neighborhood and is only about a ten minute walk from our hostel.  It is a unique loft-style unit with a tiny outdoor patio.  Every inch of that place has Ana’s style embedded in it.  It’s so great!  If I ever live in a city, I could easily see myself living in an apartment like hers. 

After spending a few hours at Ana’s about half of us took a bus to the neighborhood of La Boca.  It is a fun, energetic neighborhood where The Tango dance was created.  La Boca is the neighborhood that immigrants used to arrive at when coming to Argentina.  All the buildings in the neighborhood are very colorful; they were painted by the settlers as a way to improve the city while using very little resources.  In La Boca, we visited a contemporary art museum that had a fantastic view of the neighborhood from the top.  We also walked around the main streets and the markets, before stopping for coffee at a café.  We sat outside and enjoyed the rest of our time drinking coffee, feasting on pastries, and observing the crowd. 


Days like today are so great because I feel like I actually get a chance to experience the culture.  Some days on this trip, and every day on World Tour, I was so busy trying to see everything that I rarely got a chance to stop and take in the experiences I was having.  I need time to process what is happening and how I feel about it. It is impossible for me to do that if I am constantly on the go.  This is just one more way that traveling challenges me and my weaknesses as a person.  I do believe I am getting better at it because this trip has been so much easier than World Tour for a number of reasons.  The biggest reason is the people I am traveling with.  There are only twelve of us total, which is so much easier than the twenty-four on World Tour.  I also have Amanda with me, so it makes it much more fun, and less lonely.  Lastly the people on this trip are great travelers.  Don’t get me wrong, I grew to love and respect all the people on World Tour.  I just instantly had a connection with most of the people traveling with me to South America.  It has only been a week, and I feel like we have been friends for months.  

No comments:

Post a Comment