Friday, April 21, 2017

Sydney Harbor, Australia

I survived the flight and made it to Sydney!  The flight was fairly uneventful, although, it did not start out that way.   As I sat down in my seat to begin the long flight I immediately noticed three babies within a one seat radius of mine, one of whom was already throwing a whopper of a fit.  All I could think to myself was ‘Whyyyyy?’  After the initial shock of that, things went pretty well.  With the help of Nyquil and noise-canceling headphones, I was able to get a decent night’s sleep.  I slept for about ten hours and watched movies and TV shows the rest of the time, and ate.  The good thing about paying way too much for a flight around the world is that they take good care of you. 

We arrived in Sydney bright and early, and on time.  Sydney, my friend, has to work until 4:30 p.m. today so I will be on my own until then.  I was a little anxious about this for a few reasons.  First, I had little knowledge on how to get to the city from the airport.  Second, I had no place to store my luggage, which meant I would be wandering the city by myself with two bags for the day.  With a little bit of direction from Syd via iMessaging, I was able to take a train from the airport to a station near the coffee shop where she worked.  Once I got to the city, I found an ATM to get some cash and parked myself at a café to get my bearings.  I also NEEDED a good coffee.  Sadly, the coffee was less than stellar, but the experience gave me a few minutes to gather myself and form a plan for the day.  I honestly had no idea what to do, but after taking in the Harbor for a few minutes I was excited.  To understand my excitement better, it would be helpful to understand the last few weeks of my life.

Without going into too much detail, the last week of my life has been incredibly exciting, but along with that came stress, good stress.  Last Friday, Nick found out he had a job in Indy, we signed a lease on our new apartment, and he proposed, all within about 30 minutes.  It was truly a “Good Friday”.  The timing of everything was perfect, but also terrible.  All of our prayers for the last several months had been answered on one day; however, that brought about so much that had to be done before I left for Australia.  We were in Jasonville all weekend for Easter festivities, which was wonderful to be able to celebrate with family.  That only left a couple days to get moved into the apartment, at least partially.  The goal was to get enough stuff there so that Nick can live in Indy when he starts his job, which happens to be while I am on this trip.  On top of moving, I had to work Monday and Tuesday, plus get everything packed for my trip.  It was very hectic and the complete opposite of how I like to do things.  I need a plan, and I need organization.  It just was not possible in this case.  We survived though.  Nick got moved in, I got packed up, and I made it to the airport.

Ok back to my excitement about spending a whole day in Sydney by myself.  This was an opportunity to just be me for a day.  I sat along the harbor, sketched, photographed, and people-watched for hours.  I explored the Opera House and public space surrounding it.  I wandered into the nearby historic district, The Rock, and came across a Friday ‘Foodie’ Market.  I must have walked miles, which the only downside to that was the fact that I had 20+ pounds of luggage with me.  It was not as bad as I was expecting though, great exercise at least.  All in all, it was a refreshing day, which I enjoyed so much more than I was expecting to.   I had a chance to reconnect with God and myself after a crazy, hectic, exciting week.  I believe this experience speaks to the culture of the city.  It has been a great day because despite me knowing absolutely nothing when I arrived, the people were incredibly friendly.  I feel safer here than I have in most cities, including Indy at certain times.  It seems that everyone is willing to share space, hospitality, and kindness, especially to outsiders and visitors like me.

The afternoon rolled around and I got a message that Sydney got off work early.  So I met her right outside the café where she worked.  It had been a year and a half since I have seen her, so it was great to be reunited!  The rest of the day we wandered around, still with my bags, catching up and seeing more of the city.  We stopped for delicious milkshakes which served as an early dinner, before sitting at the harbor as the sun set.  As we sat and talked, we listened to street performers play popular cover songs.  Several times I had a surreal feeling that I was not actually sitting in Sydney, talking to my best friend, Sydney, and watching ferries come in and out of the harbor, as lights from the Opera House lit up the atmosphere.  It is one moment that will be hard to forget. 

Both of us exhausted, we began the trek back to her temporary home.  She is house-sitting for a couple that lives south, just outside the city.  It is quite a bus ride to get here from Sydney, but worth it.  We will be staying here (for free) for two nights before the owners return from vacation.  After that, we will be in hostels, which are still manageable and cheap.  The house-sit worked out perfect though.  It’s so nice to have my own space after such a long travel day.  Here’s to a relaxing shower and a full night’s sleep.



No comments:

Post a Comment