Sunday, April 23, 2017

Walking the City Sydney, Australia

In contrast to yesterday, Syd and I packed today full with just about as much as we could possibly do.  We left the house one last time and began the day around 10:30 a.m.  Unfortunately, Syd’s house sitting duties were over so we had to move on to other accommodations.  A rather long bus ride later we dropped our luggage off at our hostel and began walking.  Most everything we saw was by foot, so it is not surprising that we finished the day having walked 12 miles.  Exhausting, but worth it.  The weather certainly helped as it was 75 and sunny the whole time.  What more could we ask for?
In short here is a list of things we saw: Royal Botanic Gardens, Mrs. Macquarie’s Chair (a lookout point in the Sydney Harbor), Sydney Opera House (again, it never gets old), Hyde Park, Paddy’s Market, all of Darling Harbor including the Sydney Convention Center, Queen Victoria Building, and St. Mary’s Cathedral.  I don’t have a bad thing to say about any of them.  In fact I could say a ton of great things about all of them, but there is no time for that.

 Some of my favorite moments today probably came when we were exploring Darling Harbor.  It is less touristy than Circular Quay/ Sydney Harbor.  While there are still plenty of tourists, this area seems to be used more by locals.  There are endless restaurants, cafes, and shopping areas.  It was a great place to just hang out and be social, this means excellent people-watching.  The entire harbor is a refreshingly modern spin on most of the things I have seen in Sydney thus far. 

Paddy’s Market took me straight back to world tour days.  I will always love a good market. 

Mrs. Macquarie’s Chair was absolutely gorgeous, another one of those moments I cannot put into words.  Syd and I got in some sketching time here too.  Exciting stuff.
Hyde Park is basically a really big park.

Queen Victoria Building is a really old building with lots of character.  At some point it has been converted into a high end shopping center.  I found it to be pretty interesting.  I am not sure if the average joe would find the same interest though.

Probably the best thing about today was that it was all free.  Since we had a relatively low cost day we went out for a nice dinner at an authentic pizza place.  We both thought pizza sounded tasty so we googled good pizza in the city.  The internet led us to this place and it did not disappoint.  Well at first it did; we arrived at about 5:15 licking our chops and ready to stuff ourselves.  To our surprise the restaurant didn’t open until 6:00.  We had 45 minutes to spare.  Despite our dying hunger we made the most of it and walked a few blocks to a low-key pub.  Both of us relaxed on a sofa with our first Australian beers watching Rugby together.  Not a bad way to spend the extra time.  Back to dinner, the pizza was authentic, so much so, we felt as if we were back in Italy.  It was definitely worth the wait. 

We made our way back to the hostel to get settled in for the night.  I am reminded of my least favorite part about traveling; hostel life, and by that I mean sleeping in the same room and sharing bathroom facilities with strangers.  It can be less than ideal at times but I try to remember it is only temporary and it is also dirt cheap.  I really cannot complain about $20 a night.  The lack of privacy and convenience makes me appreciate home so much more.  It also reminds me how blessed I am to live such a comfortable life compared to most.



No comments:

Post a Comment