Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Taronga Zoo and Manly Beach, Australia

Today (Monday) was our last full day in Sydney, and it was definitely a full day! We started bright and early headed out from the hostel to get breakfast.  Surprisingly, we both got a good night’s sleep, but no amount of sleep could have made up for the fact that we walked so much the day before.  Both of us decided to take it a little easier today.  It sounded like a good idea at the time.

With the guidance of Syd, we found a nice cafĂ©, guaranteed to have a quality cup of coffee.  I say with the guidance of Syd because she has been a barista on and off for the past year while living in New Zealand and Australia.  It has been fun because we realized we both have the same passion for coffee, and I don’t mean just drinking it.  I love learning about local coffee culture while comparing it to that of the world, but I digress. 

As expected the coffee at this cafe was wonderful, very similar to some of the coffee I had in South America.  That always makes me happy.  Fueled up, we headed to the train station to catch a ride to Circular Quay where we eventually boarded a ferry to the Taronga Zoo.  Now our first impressions were that it would take us most of the morning to see everything the zoo had to offer.  That was before we were told it is among the world’s biggest zoos. We had plans to leave the zoo after lunch and head to Manly Beach, another popular beach on Sydney’s north shore.  Five hours later we finally made it through all the exhibits at the zoo.  It was exhausting but worth it.  Not only did we get to see all kinds of exotic new animals (or new to us), the entire zoo had some of the best views of Sydney’s skyline.  The perfect 75 degree and sunny weather didn’t hurt either as the animals seemed to be pretty active. Memorable moments at the zoo included Syd and I getting lost around every corner (no exaggeration), observing sleeping koalas, a Komodo dragon feeding, lounging kangaroos, playful chimps and gorillas, and a free seal show.  Despite the fact that we kept getting lost, Taronga Zoo has to be one of the best zoos in the world.  It has so many opportunities to get up close and personal to the animals. We entered an exhibit for rainforest birds and while face to face with one, it started raining on us via sprinklers.  Talk about an authentic experience.

We spent quite a bit of extra time at the zoo so that meant we lost a few hours at Manly Beach. Plus we lost an extra hour because we missed a ferry by seconds.  We watched it pull out of the wharf as we were entering the gate.  Frustrating to say the least, but there are much worse things that could have happened.  We didn’t actually get to Manly until 4 o’clock p.m.  Given the amount of beach exploring we did a few days ago, neither one of us seemed to mind.  Manly is the stereotypical tourist beach town, and I loved it.  We explored the area a little before ordering ice cream cones and frolicking on the beach.  Actually, not much frolicking happened due to how tired we were, but still a great time.  We hung out and people watched, mainly admiring the surfers until almost dark.  I was pretty much reaching my limit, in that I was dead energy wise, so Syd and I decided to get some dinner before heading back to the city.  This gave us a chance to refuel and enjoy Manly a bit longer.  We stopped at an authentic Thai place that fit our mood and appetite perfectly.  We caught a ferry back to the city and enjoyed the night skyline all the way back.  That put us back at the hostel around 8 p.m., enough time to shower, pack up, and relax before bed.  I was so tired when we got back I tried using my Opal Card, normally used for public transportation in Sydney, to swipe in the main door of the hostel.  It didn’t work, so I proceeded to tell the receptionist about it.  To my embarrassment, he kindly pointed out I was using my Opal Card instead of the Hostel keycard.  At least Syd got a laugh out of it.  Our plans to take it easier today did not exactly pan out, but I am not mad about it.  There is always time to sleep later.


Tomorrow we fly out around noon to head to Cairns, the jumping point of the Great Barrier Reef.  We will be in Cairns until Friday when we fly back to Sydney.  I leave from Sydney to head home on Saturday. It is crazy to think how quickly the first leg of the trip has gone, but I know Syd and I both made the best of it, no matter how tiring it has been.  We feel as if our time in Sydney was our chance to be tourists, and have already declared that our next few days in Cairns will be our beach bummin’ days.  I am looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment