Sunday, February 10, 2013

Cappadocia, Turkey


I am happy to report that the worst day of World Tour was followed by easily the best day so far!  Yesterday we visited some of the sites in Cappadocia.  Normally our tour guide would spread the tour into three days, but since we only had one full day, he chose a few of the best spots.  Everything was so amazing that it did not even appear to be real.  The landscape looked like something straight out of a dream, or movie.  I do not know how to explain it because there is nothing to compare it to.  I will start by saying that they are huge rock structures formed by volcanic ash.  The land is dominated by these mini mountains, which in itself is beautiful.  Add thousands of caves and cliff dwellings and you have one-of-a-kind Cappadocia.  I know we still have a lot to see on this trip, but it is going to take a lot to top this.

The first place we visited was an underground city.  Caves as deep as 8 stories were used as defensive living quarters.  The passageways were so small and narrow; I had to duck and squat most of the time to get through them.  My favorite part was the church that was located 6 stories underground.  The room was carved into the shape of a cross.  It was so cool to pray and imagine a worship service taking place down there.  On the way back up to ground level, I had to stop and use my inhaler.  There was just so many steps and a lower oxygen level than I am used to. 
Our next destination was the Goreme Open Air Museum.  It is a preserved section of an abandoned city carved into the rocks.  There were several cave churches that we visited along with a couple houses.    We ate lunch and continued on with stops at “The Three Beauties” and a castle.  Both places allowed for a 360 degree view of the entire area of Cappadocia.  It is indescribable and amazing!  The rocks are so fun to climb on, pretty much an adult sized jungle gym. 
Once again I wish I had someone from home to share the experience with because no amount of words or pictures can describe the beauty!  After visiting a place like Cappadocia, I do not understand how people don’t believe.  Who do they think created this all?  I wonder if God ever got bored creating regular mountains, so he decided to make something totally unique just to humor himself, and ended up with Cappadocia.  You have to admit; it is pretty fun to think about!

Right now we are on our way to Istanbul airport.  We had to leave Cappadocia at 6:00 this morning because it is a 10 hour drive.  From Istanbul we fly to Abu Dhabi in the United Arab Emirates.  I feel another all-nighter coming on!  Hopefully this flight goes a little smoother than the last one. 
Instead of a “desk critique” I had a “bus critique” earlier this morning for my hometown project and for my course work.  So far, so good!  Both of my professors actually seemed a little excited for my project.  You would not believe how much a difference this makes with my confidence on the project.  At this point I am still excited about it, but we will see how long that lasts!

No comments:

Post a Comment