Sunday, February 3, 2013

Istanbul, Turkey

It amazes me, the diversity of the world. Istanbul has brought another culture that seems completely different than we have experienced so far. Oddly enough, it might be one of my favorites. The hospitality here is great, mostly because they want your money, but they are genuine. The food has been good too, and much cheaper than Europe. Yesterday I was able to get a half of a chicken, and rice for about $5.00.

The first day in Istanbul it rained pretty much the whole day. We did not get to see too much except for the Haggia Sophia and The Blue Mosque. They ended up being enough in one day for me because it was so fascinating. The Islamic religion fascinates me because of the discipline in the religion. The Islamic Call to Prayer happens 5 times a day and is the coolest thing I have ever heard. It is a chanting of praise projected all around the city from the mosques. Coming from American culture, I think it is amazing that people stop their lives 5 times a day for prayer. The call to prayer is a sound that I will never forget. I have to admit, though, it is a little creepy to wake up to.

The inside of Haggia Sophia is beautiful as it is decorated completely with Arabic Calligraphy. Words cannot describe it, so I will not even try. Pictures do not do it much justice either. There is a column in the mosque that will make a wish come true if you can rotate your thumb in it, 360 degrees. Of course I had to try it. I am not telling you my wish though!

The Blue Mosque was even more incredible because I witnessed the religion in action. Several locals were praying while I was inside. Before you enter the mosque, it is required that you take your shoes off. Another experience I will never forget. Imagine a couple hundred people in a mosque with socks on, carrying their shoes. I’m not going to lie, the whole place smelled like feet, but I am sure it is all the same to God. Being in a completely different religious culture makes me stop and question everything, in a good way. It is a great test of faith.

Constantine’s Palace is one other piece of architecture that is famous in Istanbul. We spent about an hour there, but to be honest I do not know too much about it, except for the fact that it was once Constantine’s Palace. It was pretty awesome to see the idea of luxury in Istanbul, and it was fun to sketch too! And that is probably the first time I have ever said sketching is fun! What is happening to me?

Another grand experience in Istanbul is shopping at The Grand Bazaar. It is one of those places you can learn about, but never fully understand it until you shop there yourself. As I walked through it, I felt like a piece of red meat about to be eaten by vultures. Shop owners stand outside their booth and do everything but grab you in order to get you into their store. Once you are in it is almost impossible to get out without a purchase. When you look at a product for more than 2 seconds, you basically commit yourself to buying it, or instead, minutes of hassling. Plus, there are never prices listed. I hated it at first, but after a while it became a game, and a new way of shopping. I was able to get a couple scarves for half the asking price and a pair of earrings for a quarter of the asking price. Being a naturally timid person, I was pretty excited.

Another activity in Istanbul was a Bosphorus river tour. It was more relaxing than anything, especially because we went after an entire morning of our first design charette. My mind was so tired after the charette, but I ended up with some really great design ideas. A design charette is basically a big brain dump where everyone comes together and critiques each other’s idea. I can’t believe I am about to say this, but after going through a month of no physical studio, it was kind of nice to get back into it.

Yesterday I walked from Europe to Asia. Sounds like a big feat, but all I really had to do was cross a bridge. Still though, not many people can say they have walked to Asia. My first impressions of the continent were not the greatest, only because I had to walk uphill the entire time. There were some pretty cool stores that made it worthwhile.

I was able to Skype my family tonight, which I am so thankful for. It is amazing how close you can feel thanks to technology. Plus it is free!

No comments:

Post a Comment