Saturday, February 16, 2013

Siem Reap, Cambodia


We left Kuala Lumpur early yesterday to catch our flight to Cambodia.  It was a relatively easy day compared to the airport troubles we have had in the past.  Cambodia customs did not even check our bags. 

The few stories I have heard about Cambodia always mention how incredibly hot it is; Cambodia has definitely proved itself in that area on this trip.  I would compare it to the dog days of summer in the Midwest, except for the fact that it is always this temperature here, 95 degrees and humid.  I am so thankful for the past two summers working in the heat at the park.  It has been great training for this climate.  Touring all day in this heat is a lot different than touring all day in 55 degree weather, which is what I am used to.  Climate aside, I have enjoyed Cambodia very much so far!

The only attraction in Siem Reap and the rest of Cambodia is the world heritage site of Angkor Wat.  Angkor Wat is huge, large enough to be a city.  There is evidence of architecture dating back to very early centuries, some temples as early as the 10th century.  Angkor Wat temple, the heart of the site, is the largest temple in the world and possibly the most famous.  Each border of the temple is close to a mile long.  Throughout both days we have visited 4 temples and the King’s Palace.  Angkor Wat was the best, followed by Ta Prohm Temple.  It is the place where Angelina Jolie filmed Tomb Raider.  I like it because a certain type of trees began to grow on the walls of the temple.  It is amazing to see.

It is hard to imagine these ruins in the height of their day.  The extravagance must have been unprecedented.   I am amazed by the design and construction of it today, not to mention thousands of years ago.  Angkor Wat is unique in construction because the ruins are pieced together with smaller pieces of stone.  In comparison, a lot of Greek and Roman architecture is carved from much larger pieces.  Another unique thing is the detailing and decoration.  Our guide explained to us that the temple decoration existed only for the Gods.  It was never intended to impress people.  Due to this fact, you can see detailing on almost every inch of stone.  It makes me think of how trivial I am when I get upset because my laser cutting is not cooperating.  The hand craftsmanship of Angkor Wat is unbelievable for its time!  It makes me wonder… How great could my projects be if I took on that attitude? 

In addition to Angkor Wat there is a night market in Siem Reap where you can get clothing and souvenirs for cheap!  I got several things for myself, my family, and my friends, all for about $20.  The hospitality here is great!  Tourists mean everything to Cambodia’s economy, so everything here is focused on that.  When we first arrived at our hotel, we were greeted with frozen towels and a cold beverage.  The same thing happened at a local restaurant.  During the tours as we got on and off the bus, free water and towels were available to us.  Anywhere we got off the bus, children and women surrounded us trying to sell postcards, jewelry, or food.  It does start to get very annoying but I have to constantly remind myself that it is their only way of living and income.  Their voices will forever be stuck in my head! “Lady! Lady you like to buy something? Lady, I have you size in different color!  Lady! I make deal just for you!”  Regardless, it can still be very fun to shop in a place like this because everything is unique and dirt cheap.  I just have to be in the right mood for it!

This afternoon we had a few hours after our tour before it was time to leave for dinner.  Several of us hung out in the pool and enjoyed the swim-up bar.  It was the perfect way to cool off and relax after a hot and muggy day.  Plus the drinks were delicious!  For dinner we got to experience a Cambodian buffet and dance show.  Both were very interesting and different, but awesome!  After that we went by the night market again where I made a few extra purchases. 

Tomorrow we fly out of Cambodia into Vietnam.  While I am ready for something new, I cannot say that I am all that excited about Vietnam.  This will be interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment