Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Dubai, United Arab Emirates


Well Dubai has proven to me that it does in fact have way too much money for its own good!  It is the weirdest and also most impressive city I will probably ever visit.  There are some really great buildings in Dubai, but it does not go too far beyond that.  The city as a whole is so sporadic in design that it does not really have an identity, or sense of community.  The elements of the city do not flow.  I have never heard of a place with so many skyscrapers but cannot be traveled by a pedestrian.  In several instances, developers buy a site and fund a building without even considering the context.  That being said, I had a great day exploring Dubai!  It is basically a showroom of urban towers with the best technology exhibited throughout the city.

We spent a lot of time in the inside the tallest building in the world, the Burj Khalifa.  We all went up to the world’s highest viewing deck at 125 stories.  The view was unreal!  I felt like I was looking down at a model of Dubai.  If you concentrated hard enough you could feel the tower moving just slightly with the wind.  Burj Khalifa is an icon to architects everywhere; it is a feat of design and a precedent for the future.  I got to experience it firsthand! 

Before and after the visit to Burj Kahlifa we spent some time in the world’s largest mall.  I think I could have spent a whole week in there because it was so cool!  Fortunately for my budget, we were only there for a couple of hours.  In the mall is the world’s biggest aquarium viewing wall that was also very impressive.  Also in the mall I had the best cupcake and cappuccino ever in a bakery called Magnolias.
Later in the day we visited another mall in Dubai.  This is where the famous SkiDubai slopes are, the only indoor skiing slopes in the world.  If indoor skiing does not set a statement to the world, I cannot think of something that will!

While at a market, that was a little like a modern day medina, I found the perfect gift for my brother.  I hope he likes it as much as I think he will!  Hopefully I will be able to send many of my things home because my bags are about to burst! 

For dinner I had Papa John’s breadsticks and it occurred to me that Papa John graduated from Ball State!  And we were Ball State students ordering pizza from Papa Johns… in Dubai! 




No comments:

Post a Comment