Friday, April 12, 2013

Belfast, Northern Ireland


The weather we have had in Belfast has not been the greatest, compared to the warm weather at home.  Two straight days of rain and 40 degree temperatures is not quite what I had in mind, but it is definitely not the first time my expectations have not be met on this trip.  We had another long travel day as we made our way from Edinburgh to Belfast.  Our bus took us from Edinburgh to Cairn Ryan where we boarded a ferry for Belfast.  The ferry was nice and relaxing; I was even able to get some long-overdue sketching done.  We did not get to Belfast until about 7 p.m. so I decided to call it a night and stay at the hotel for the evening. 

I woke up the next morning to pouring rain, but thankfully we had a bus tour planned of the city.  We toured Belfast for a couple hours in the morning and headed out on a bus trip in the afternoon to Giant’s Causeway.  It is an amazing rock formation on the coast of Northern Ireland that makes up a beautiful Irish landscape.  Even though the day was gloomy and wet, it was still picturesque.  We started to climb the rock but after Dan slipped and fell we decided it was too slick.  I would love to be at Giant’s Causeway when the weather is more cooperative because it would be a really fun place to climb and hike.

We got back to the hotel and decided on a time for group dinner.  Someone had recommended to us a restaurant that would accept reservations for all 26 of us.  It was easily the fanciest place I have ever eaten at before.  I got a gnocchi dish that was extremely expensive for the food they brought me.  I had two pieces of cauliflower and 3 tiny gnocchi.  I did not eat lunch because I was saving my appetite for dinner.  Turns out, I probably should have gotten some lunch because that meal was a joke.  

After the not-so-filling dinner, Devin took me to a pub that he knew of which had Smithwick’s Irish Beer on tap.  I was told before I left home that I had to try it, so I was excited to finally get one; it was probably one of my favorite beers I have had so far!  The experience was pretty awesome too because the pub had live music and a lively atmosphere; I named it the Ultimate Irish Experience.  It was a great time!  I am even more excited for Dublin now, oh and the fact that I will be home in just 3 days!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment