Monday, April 8, 2013

Yorkshire-Dales National Park, England


After a long and exciting week in Paris and London, we finally got a much-needed break at Yorkshire-Dales National Park in England.  We arrived at our hostel in the village of Malham around midday and dropped off our luggage.  Malham is situated at the base of a popular hiking trail in the National Park.  Yorkshire-Dales is a national park set aside to preserve the natural countryside of England.  As you can imagine the entire park is possibly one of the most beautiful places I have ever been.  Rolling hill after hill and pastures outlined with waist-high stone walls.  Lambs frolicked in the fields alongside their mothers.  It was just so peaceful, and it reminded me of home.  Outside our hostel window was a small farm with chickens and geese roaming around the yard.  It was just like at home!  I cannot wait to get home to my own room.  I am getting sick of living in the city like I basically have for the past 3 months.  I need to see some more countryside!

Our group hiked the nearby trail in its entirety and made a day of it.  The trail is about 4.5 miles long, and we stopped periodically to enjoy the view.  Two waterfalls and a limestone formation called The Pavement were the highlights of the hike, as well as amazing views down into Malham.  The weather was perfect for our hike with the temperature around 50 degrees Fahrenheit.  We took our time and enjoyed the peaceful walk. 

We got back to Malham just in time for dinner at The Buck Inn, a small pub just down the road from our hostel.  We hung around the pub for a while just talking and enjoying our down time.  It was a great night except I was ready for bed before I got any work done!  Oh that is not true; I did do some laundry, which is the last time I will have to do laundry on this trip! :D  But still, I should have at least worked on my studio project.  Oh well, I guess I needed the sleep more!

We did not have to leave until 11:00 this morning so I took advantage of a nice, relaxing morning.  I woke up around 7:30 and took my time getting ready.  I headed down to get breakfast and joined up with Courtney and Ryan so we could walk around the village before it was time to leave.  The rest of the day will probably be a boring bus day with a high productivity level, which is what I am hoping for at least. 

No comments:

Post a Comment