Thursday, April 4, 2013

Paris, France Part 1


My first impression of Paris was not the best one.  A four hour bus ride Easter morning led us from Brussels to Paris.  I really enjoyed the bus ride because it gave me time to work, think, and just relax.  That time quickly came to an end as our tour of Paris began.  The metro, sidewalks, and streets were packed to capacity because of the Easter holiday.  It was terrible!  The only cool part was that I got to walk through the Sacred Heart Cathedral during Easter Mass.  But also imagine one of the most popular churches in Paris packed with people during Easter.  It was ridiculous, and I do not handle crowds very well.  I headed back to the hotel as soon as possible and tried to get some work done before I completely zonked out for the day.

The next day was much more enjoyable.  Half of the group went with Les, while the rest of us went with Rod on an informal tour of Paris.  It was one of my favorite days so far.  Everyone with us was relaxed and enjoyable the entire day.  We did not have much of a schedule or place to be, we just walked around and saw stuff; actually we saw a lot of stuff.  The day began with a visit to a contemporary church just outside of Paris, and then we worked our way into the city where we saw the Pompidou Center, Parc de la Viollette , Notre Dame Cathdral, and the Eiffel Tower. 

Paris would not be Paris without Notre Dame and the Eiffel Tower.  I was going into this city with the mindset that it would not be all that impressive because I have heard that quite a few times, and to be honest I am not all that excited about French culture.  I am happy to tell you that I was pleasantly surprised.  It is not my favorite city by far, however, I had some enjoyable times visiting all the places I have only dreamed about seeing, especially the Eiffel Tower and Notre Dame.  After seeing the Eiffel Tower, I can tell you that my respect for it in the architecture world changed.  Before it was just a tower to me, but being there and seeing the intricate details was amazing!  I can definitely understand why it has been an icon from the beginning.  To see it at night is even better because at the top of every hour the entire tower sparkles with lights.  The Eiffel Tower has not seen the last of me!  Notre Dame is just as impressive and original.  Its orientation along the river makes the cathedral one of the most picturesque places in Paris, in my opinion.  I have seen several churches throughout Europe, and Notre Dame is definitely among my favorites.  After the informal tour it was back to the hotel and bedtime for me because it was such an exhausting day. 

Day 2 of Paris was exponentially better than the first day, and for that I am thankful.  I think day 1 was especially hard because it was Easter.  While my family was at home celebrating together I was fighting through crowds and watching my back for pick-pocketing.  It was certainly unpleasant at times but then I stopped and realized how lucky I was to be spending my Easter Sunday in Paris.  It was an awesome feeling, but it still did not stop me from missing my family. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment