Thursday, April 4, 2013

Paris, France Part 2


Ok before I talk about the past couple days, please excuse me while I go on a rant about public transportation.  Paris has one of the best systems in the world, but personally I think it is the most complicated one, or maybe it is just because I have seen the metro tunnels more than I have seen the city.  Our hotel is located outside the city center pretty far away; therefore, everywhere we go we have to take the metro… or a train… or a bus… or most times any combination of the three.  I appreciate the fact that I could get virtually anywhere in Paris if I wanted to, but it also takes a lot of time and planning to figure out.  And I will spare you all from talking about how expensive it is.  I will say this though; in the past 4 days I have used 2 days-worth of my budget just on transportation.  Paris is nice, but it comes at a high price.  Ok, rant over!

Yesterday began with a group trip to the Palace of Versailles.  It is at the top of the list of the most amazing mansions and gardens in Europe.  So you think that I would have enjoyed it much more than I did.  The main reason I did not enjoy it… the crowds.  There were so many people, almost worse than day 1 of Paris!  It was beautiful for sure, but my experience could have been better.

After Versailles Dan, Devin, and I headed to the city center where we walked around the Arc di Triumph and shopped on one of the most expensive retail streets in Europe.  We all found the gifts we were looking for with little trouble, ate dinner, and headed to see the Eiffel Tower at dusk.  I think I have already talked about how beautiful it is in my last entry.  It was the perfect way to end a great afternoon.

Today we visited one of the most famous museums in the world, The Louvre.  It was as impressive as I thought, and I thoroughly enjoyed I.M. Pei’s pyramid of an entrance.  It is a pretty awesome addition to the museum.  I can say though that I was a little disappointed in the Mona Lisa.  I turned the corner in the museum and saw a huge blank wall with hundreds of people crowded around it.  Upon closer inspection I spotted the small legendary painting just above eye level and immediately chuckled to myself about the size of it.  Most famous artwork is much more impressive in person; the Mona Lisa, however, is not.  I spent the whole morning wandering around the Louvre viewing the best collection of art in the world, and I still cannot really fathom it.  I got lost several times trying to find the Egyptian exhibition.  Sadly, I gave up after a while and never found it. 

This afternoon Rod took the architecture students out to visit Villa Sovoye, probably one of Le Corbusier’s most famous buildings.  It was more than a pain to get out there because we had to take the metro, then a train, and finally a public bus.  As bad as it was getting there, it was one of my favorite places in Paris.  Today I got a whole hour to observe one of the most influential and important houses designed in the 20th Century.  Again, I am reminded of how incredibly fortunate I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment