Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Athens, Greece

The historic site, The Acropolis, dominated much of my day today. It was another one of those places that I really cannot believe I was there. I have discovered that one of the coolest feelings in architecture is studying a place or building for years, and then getting to experience it in real life. Today was one of those days! Our guide took us to the top of the Acropolis and explained the site and buildings. The funny thing, though, is that I already knew about half of what she said. It was still very cool to listen to her because she is an archaeologist and she loves her Greek Mythology. Every time she gave an explanation there was a Greek myth tied to it somehow. I can easily say that I have had enough mythology for one day.
As I was trying to take a picture of Flat Stanley in front of the Parthenon, a lady came over and told me to put Stanley back in my bag, and warned me to delete any pictures I had already taken with him. She explained to me that it was disrespectful because the Acropolis is a sacred site and taking pictures shows disrespect. I can somewhat understand the reasoning behind this, but then again I do not. If I can take pictures like that in Saint Peter’s Basilica and other cathedrals, why is it any different here?
After a visit to the Acropolis we went to a modern museum of the Acropolis, where all the artifacts from the site are displayed. The stuff was cool to see, but I was honestly more excited about the building it was in. It is only four years old, so it contained a lot of new passive design. It was pretty inspiring to my design project.
The last stop of the day was the Poseidon Temple in Sounion, Greece. It is about an hour outside of Athens in the middle of a beautiful and rocky Aegean coast. The temple was pretty neat, but I enjoyed seeing the Greek countryside as well!
Tonight we went out for a family dinner for Chin and Jake’s birthday. It was an amazing Greek meal once again and everything was paid for, which made it even better. We even got free dessert and shots again. Tonight was the first night that I felt confident about the rest of this trip. I am finally starting to enjoy it more. After dinner I had to come back to the hotel for some more assignment work. I will be so glad when this rotation of assignments is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment