Sunday, March 10, 2013

Helsinki, Finland


People keep asking me what my favorite places have been, and I have not really had a definitive answer until now.  Without a doubt one of my favorite places is Helsinki, Finland.  I cannot pinpoint what it is about this city and country that it so great, but I loved every minute of it; it was even an average temperature of about 10 degrees Fahrenheit the whole time we were there.  It is a rare feeling to be in a completely different country than I am used to and feel comfortable there.  I think this happened because everyone I talked to was really friendly and willing to help me; it is a really laid-back city as well.  Helsinki is a city that has great historic and modern architecture that complements each other pretty well.  I love the style they have going; simple, classy, and free from ornamentation.  The style is completely different than the classical style in Saint Petersburg, Russia. 

Helsinki is also a very active community.  Despite the freezing temperatures, it seemed like everyone was very active walking, jogging, and even cross-country skiing.  When the bays of the city freeze every winter, the citizens of Helsinki get a new park.  They use the ice as recreational space for all kinds of things; we used it for a snowball fight.

We went on a couple different walking tours in the short time we were there.  Some highlights included Stephen Hall’s Modern Art Museum, Helsinki Concert Hall, Helsinki Train Station, the Harbor, and a housing development called Arabia.  Arabia was my favorite part of the city simply because it is the type of architecture that I was born to design.  Historically in Arabia, the area was primarily industrial.  In this area several old factories have recently been converted into condos.  Modern construction complexes are mixed into the industrial condos, creating an architectural harmony.  I love the style of the place so much!  A local architect who worked on the project showed us around the area, giving us a wealth of information.  Afterwards we visited her office where we learned more about the general architecture practice in Finland. 

Another memorable time in Helsinki happened by a mere accident, but it was awesome!  Half of our group went into a coffee shop to kill time while we were waiting to meet up with the rest of our group.  We sat down with our snacks and coffee just in time for an unexpected music recital to begin.  About an hour later we left the coffee shop, having heard a fantastic concert of classical piano and violin.  It is experiences like these that make this trip the most worthwhile to me. 

We left Finland a few hours ago on a cruise ship for an overnight ferry ride, in the morning we will arrive in Stockholm, Sweden.  It has been an enjoyable time so far, especially since this is my first time I have been on a cruise ship.  World Tour always presents a new experience; you never know what is going to happen next.

No comments:

Post a Comment