Sunday, March 24, 2013

Munich, Germany


Munich is a pretty cool place that has a lot to offer, unfortunately I will probably only remember it by how cold I was the entire day!  The weather was supposed to be a high of 35 or 40 degrees Fahrenheit, but I think the wind chill lowered that by at least 15 degrees.  Our walking tour only lasted about 3 hours, visiting the heart of Munich in the old town and The Resident’s Palace.  We were released for lunch at the doors of the Hofbrauhas Brewery, one of the most famous breweries in Germany.

We walked in to eat but the place was packed so we decided to find a relaxing café.  We left after taking a few photos and visiting the gift shop where I bought a beer stein to give to my brother-in-law.  We found a café and as I was walking to sit down, the bag with the stein slipped out of my numb fingers (still cold from the walking tour) and fell straight to the ground.  I owned that stein for only 10 minutes before I found a way shatter it!  You would think I would quit buying breakables on this trip and learn my lesson, but I did just the opposite and went back and bought another one.  I even got an extra one to give to my brother.  I am not sure how I thought that would be a good idea, but if they both make it home in tact it will be worth the troubles I will go through in the next 3 weeks carrying them with me.  I was so mad at myself for dropping the first one I bought, but with the help of our glass-half-full campaign, I was convinced that it could have been worse.  I could have broken it a week from now and not been able to buy another. 

After that whole fiasco, Rod and Les took us out to the Olympic Park site.  The tensile structure of the pavilions is pretty amazing.  It was built in the late 60s with hardly any computer technology available.  This fact alone makes the park worth visiting, at least for architecture nerds like us.  Also near the park is BMW World, one of the coolest buildings I have seen on this trip so far.  BMW World is a show room/learning center/ museum to all things BMW.  The car displays were pretty cool and the building was awesome!

After visiting both of these places we took the metro back in the direction of our hotel.  We went to eat dinner at a famous pizza place our guide recommended, but being a Saturday night, the restaurant was packed.  We found a nice café, but of course, the menu was only in German.  I am getting tired of the fact that food on this trip always has to be an ordeal.  It takes so much time, energy, and money just to find a decent meal.  The café ended up working out ok though because our waiter could speak English.  He encouraged us to try a very special kind of Munich sausage.  It was actually really good, but it freaked me out at first because it came out white as snow.  Dan and Devin talked me through my first few bites and I ended up liking it!  After our dinner, we walked back to the hotel to tend to our massive amounts of homework, as usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment