Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Stockholm, Sweden


Stockholm is easily another favorite city of mine.  I would compare it to an older, more historical Helsinki.  The city is founded on several different islands, each island connected with a bridge.  Just like Helsinki, the people here are so nice and enjoyable.  The architecture is pretty adorable too!  Throughout the years Stockholm has enforced strict rules for buildings and their appearance.  Because of that, the entire city is no higher than 5 or 6 stories.  The buildings here also suggest a romantic style, one that uses a compilation of architectural elements unique to Stockholm.  The buildings are all very similar, but each has its own individuality.

Yesterday was just another one of my emotional roller coaster days.  The day began wonderfully with me drinking a cappuccino by myself in a café on the cruise ship.  Again I say, BY MYSELF!  It was amazing and relaxing to gaze out the window for more than five minutes by myself.  We got off the fairy around 9:00a.m. which meant we had an entire day to fill with tourist destinations and endless guided lectures.  Oh boy!  Some days I wonder if the schedule will ever end.  Anyways, we began our tour of Stockholm as soon as we got our coach at the ferry.  The tour continued well into the afternoon, when finally, for the first time in a very long time, we were given independent study time for the rest of the day.  With our time a few of us roamed around the old town for several hours shopping, drinking hot beverages, and forgetting about architecture!  We ate dinner at a small café that was absolutely adorable and delicious!  Last night was such a great night that it got my mind off of so many things. 

Today Les and Rod led us on a walking tour around the city with our destination being The Vasa Museum.  It was unique in that the building was built entirely around an ancient ship.  The Vasa is a ship that sank in the Baltic Sea in Sweden just 1000 meters after it set sail for the first time.  Divers discovered the ship-wreck and brought it up to be preserved in the mid-1900s.  The Vasa is a great example of ship life in the 1600s.  After the museum we had another free day.  I headed back towards the hostel with a group where we got a quick lunch and hung out for a few hours in the hotel.  I took a shower in probably one of the sketchiest showers ever at the hostel so I could be presentable for dinner.  For the first time since Italy, I put on a nice shirt just because I felt like looking decent.  Dinner was amazing and expensive as expected.

Now I am hanging out in the lobby working on homework and journaling.  It is way too cold to be walking around the city at night.  It does not look like Berlin is going to be much better either.  Apparently a blizzard has hit central Europe; great timing huh?  I am so ready for some warm weather again, and my own bed, and some personal space, and to just be home!    I stated this a few weeks back on Facebook, but I must say it again, “Traveling the world is awesome, but nothing beats my friends and family.”

No comments:

Post a Comment