Monday, March 25, 2013

Prague, Czech Republic


Today’s lesson of the day, sometimes great things come in terrible packages.  This morning began with a rather early breakfast, followed by a four-block hike with our luggage to the train station.  At the station we were informed that our 8:00 a.m. train reservation was actually for a public coach bus (like a Greyhound).  Instant panic took over a few people in the group, clearly causing everyone a higher stress level.  On a public bus, storage space is scarce, which meant we would probably be holding our luggage on our laps for the five hour bus ride.  There was a small chance that we would not even be able to all fit the bus at all.  I was mad because I had planned to work on assignments that were due the next day, and that clearly was not going to happen now.

After waiting in the freezing cold for well over a half an hour, our bus pulled up.  It was the nicest double-decker we could have asked for.  A long story short, I ended up being able to store both of my bags, sit in a comfortable seat without a stranger by me, and even have a table to work on.  Icing on the cake, I ordered and drank a coffee while I worked on my assignments.  Oh how quickly my moods can change on this trip.  Somehow everything always seems to work out, probably because of this magical thing called faith.  Oh, I still get stressed and frustrated more than I should, but I cannot imagine traveling like this and trying to survive on my own strength.  It would simply be impossible; I would probably be locked up in a loony bin back in Vietnam.

Ok, back to today’s events.  Immediately upon our arrival in Prague we began a tour of the city.  On our lunch break we ate at a McDonald’s only because we had a few minutes before we had to meet back up.  The employees were so rude to us; it did not even make lunch worth it.  Poor Lin! All she wanted was to get salad dressing, and they gave her such a hard time about it.

We continued on our tour for the next two hours.  If I thought Munich was cold, well Prague winds are exponentially worse.  I felt as if my face might crack and fall off.  When we finally got to our hotel for the evening, I was so happy to see that it was an awesome hotel.  Our beds are comfy, the showers are warm, and we have Wi-Fi in the rooms.  It is sad, but those are the things that make or break my days anymore. 

No comments:

Post a Comment