Thursday, March 28, 2013

Prague and Dancing Building


Prague has been a memorable city with some really cool art and style, but it has been so darn cold lately that it is impossible to enjoy it like I should.  Also the stress of having a studio project due in 3 weeks is making it difficult.  Sometimes I wish I could just call home and vent about everything… soon, very soon.  I will spare you from all my complaining that I wrote in my journal, and just skip on to the good stuff.

Yesterday morning we had a short walking tour with Rod and Les.  We walked down to Old Town and Saint Charles Bridge.  Prague is a beautiful city built around several canals that give it a unique sense of place.  My favorite part was perhaps when I got Starbucks during a break and walked around the Easter Market on the square.  We continued on the tour for a while longer and were released at Saint Charles Bridge, with the rest of the day for independent study.  At this point I only had one thing in mind, Frank Gehry’s Dancing Building.

A report on Gehry’s architecture sophomore year of high school led me to the love of Dancing Building.  The concept and design of the building planted a seed and inspired me to give architecture a try.  Before that report architecture never even entered my mind as a potential career.   Through his design, Frank Gehry taught me that buildings are a form of art and the design process is part of an architect’s daily life. Ok, back to Prague. 

Dancing Building is located in Prague, and I had been waiting 6 years to stand before it in person.  I promised myself I would make it there one day and today was that day!  I got my first glimpse as I rounded the corner of the sidewalk on the river, and it was such a great sight to see!  It did not take long to have a full view, and it left me speechless.  It is not that this is an important building in the big world of architecture; it is more of a sentimental thing for me.  In fact several people have outwardly expressed their dislike for the building, mostly because it is completely different than anything else in its context.  After taking millions of photos, we headed back to the hotel for a full evening of homework. 

We had a pretty easy day today because we were basically waiting around for our train to leave around 5p.m.  Dan, Devin, and I found a coffee shop and camped out in there for several hours working on homework.  Tonight is another overnight train from Prague to Amsterdam.  At least this train is a tad bit bigger than the last over-nighter, but it is still way too small if you ask me!  I am hoping for an all-around better mood/day tomorrow because the past few days have been a little rough.  II have no doubt that things will begin to improve because I am very excited to finally be in Amsterdam.

No comments:

Post a Comment