Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Krakow, Poland


Ok so about Krakow!  Once again we have visited another beautiful city.  The history behind this city is so intense it is almost unbelievable.  Today I walked through the streets of Krakow that was once occupied entirely by the S.S. soldiers during World War II.  As I walked through the lively Jewish Quarters, it was hard to imagine the days when everyone was forced from their home and taken to concentration camps.  I go to Auschwitz tomorrow; I guess this is just a warm-up for what I will be experiencing then.

Regardless of how interesting some of these places are, I have hit a wall.  I am sorry but a six hour walking tour in 20 degree weather through snow and slush is not my idea of a great time.  Also it wouldn’t be so bad if I was able to go at my own pace and experience the place on my own.  The guides are helpful, but after so many places, it gets monotonous.  A surprisingly high point of the day was getting to see the Corpus Christi Basilica, which is a beautiful historic church in the old Jewish Quarters. 
We were released from our tour early afternoon and Dan, Devin, and I decided on an early dinner, a quick stop at the market, and then back to the hotel for the evening to work; we did just that!  For dinner we had a Polish specialty, perogies, which are like dumplings with various fillings inside.   It was a delicious meal!

 Tonight is a perfect evening of alone time!  I love my other roommates, it couldn’t have worked out much better really, but that still doesn’t help me from needing alone time.  Jen and Monica went out for the evening leaving me with an empty room and my studio project.  It was one of the most relaxing nights I have had in a while.  Plus, I actually go some work done!  And now it is time to apologize to writing one of the most boring blogs ever.  Seriously, I almost fell asleep while writing it.  Tomorrow’s blog will hopefully be better; I visit Auschwitz!

No comments:

Post a Comment