Friday, March 22, 2013

Salzburg, Austria and some personal problems


Today began way too early as we had to be on a train to Salzburg by 7:50 this morning.  It was extremely hectic because someone thought it would be a good idea to have all 26 of us and our luggage transported to the train station by taxis.  I do not handle hectic stuff like that at 7:00a.m., or I am not very happy at least.  It is an area of definite self-improvement.  The important thing is everyone got to the train station safely and on time for our train.  I had wonderful intentions of working on the three-hour ride, but fate had another thing planned for me.  Because we left the hotel so early this morning we were not able to eat breakfast.  No breakfast means no coffee for me.  No coffee means I slept the entire train ride and there was nothing I could do to stop it!  Although, I was fortunate enough to wake up a few times to see the beautiful countryside.

Once we got to Salzburg we stored our luggage and our guide met us.  I was able to find some coffee and a pastry that instantly improved my day.  We walked around for several hours admiring the beautiful city, including the building that the Von Trapp family performed in towards the end of The Sound of Music.  We were released in time for a couple hours of independent study before our train left for Munich.  I ate lunch with a small group of people and shopped for the remainder of the time. 

Our train ride to Munich was about an hour and a half long, so we arrived at our hotel around 7:30p.m.  I have stayed in a few hotels that were worse, but this one is not exactly at the top of the list.  I had a small break-down earlier because sometimes all I want is a little bit of personal space.  Four of us packed in a room originally intended for only two is a great way to freak me out.  The hotel is in the middle of a Turkish district in a German city which I find a bit ironic.  You just never know what to expect on World Tour, a clear indication that the world will always be unpredictable.  I have found a great way to cope with this, but I am not all that great at it.  If I do not expect much from hotels, or anything else on this trip for that matter, then it is really hard to be disappointed.  In other words, by lowering my expectations, I am rarely unhappy with the situation.  It sounds great in theory but it is awfully hard to do, especially when we jump from hotel to hotel like we do.  I am thinking I will master this about the time the trip is over.  Oh well, I will not mind much at all come April 15th! 

Quickly I want to apologize for writing a blog mostly filled with me whining.  I realize you are not reading this to hear me gripe about my surroundings, but hey, I have to vent somehow.  I cannot exactly talk to people on this trip about it either because I know we are all at the same point right now.  So thanks for being my listening ear!

No comments:

Post a Comment