Saturday, March 9, 2013

Saint Petersburg, Russia


We all survived the 9 hour flight and made it to Russia, only slightly annoyed with the people sitting next to us.  I am not going to say that Russia is the worst place we have been so far because that would be inaccurate; however, Russia is definitely not at the top of my list of favorite places.  I cannot really pinpoint what it is that I do not like; maybe it was the multiple weird looks we got, or the fact that almost no one speaks English here.  Our guide did not help my experience too much either.  She is the most scatter-brained person I have met in a while.  When she talks of course she has an accent, which I am used to that happening, but all of her sentences run together!  It is the most exhausting thing ever to try to listen to her.  After about an hour or so, I am drained.  Most of the time, her talking ended with me putting headphones in and enjoying the scenery, because I honestly got more out of it that way. 

While in Saint Petersburg, we visited the Hermitage Museum.  It is a really old palace that has been restored into one of the world’s most famous museums.  It was really cool to see, but everything there is either classical or baroque style and I can only take so much of that stuff in one day.  My favorite part of the museum was a huge collection of impressionist paintings by every master artist, including Van Gough.  For some reason after the museum we did not have a coach bus to take us back to the hotel.  So we had a solid 30 minute walk back to the hotel in 20 degree Fahrenheit weather.   Not the most fun activity so far, but definitely memorable.  The rest of the night Dan and I spent in the hotel eating room service pizza and working on assignments.  Several people in our group went to a Russian Ballet, but I decided that I would enjoy myself more if I was just relaxing at the hotel.  Ballet has a way of boring me to death, and I have never even been to one!  Plus the tickets were $100, a little bit too steep for me!

Today we spent a couple hours at Saint Catherine's Summer Palace outside of Saint Petersburg.  Again this place was cool to see, but it got old pretty quick.  After the Summer Palace we returned to the hotel to have a studio charette session.  For about 3 hours we spent time brainstorming and critiquing each other’s projects.  I did not get many drawings done but I developed a pretty strong concept.  I spent the evening in the hotel again working on homework and organizing my bag.  Tomorrow we have an 8 hour bus ride to Helsinki, Finland.  I am so ready for it!  We have not had a quality bus ride in a while.  These are often the times I get most of my work done, and I cannot forget to mention my alone time.  I love the fact that on bus rides I can turn on my music, relax, and do my own thing!  It is amazing what these magical bus rides do for my mental health.

No comments:

Post a Comment