Saturday, March 2, 2013

Suzhou, China

Suzhou, China gave us a very long and packed day. We left the hotel at 8:00a.m. and did not get back until 10:00p.m. We began the day with a visit to a Buddhist temple in Shanghai, and then made the 1.5 hour trek bus ride to Suzhou. From there were visited a garden, ate lunch, visited a legit silk factory, and visited yet another garden. If it sounds uneventful, well… that is because it was. It was not a bad day, but it was not the most exciting either. I bought several souvenirs for people back home at the silk factory that put a huge dent in my budget, but it will be worth it!

The evening was a completely different experience than the rest of the day. We got to see an acrobatic show in Shanghai. Supposedly the show is modeled after Circ De Solei (I probably spelled that wrong but to be honest I do not have the time or resources to find out). Anyways, it has been unofficially named the best acrobatic show in China, so that says something about the talent of the acrobats. I believe it; the things these people did were so amazing! My favorite act was 7 motorcycles being operated inside a spherical cage at one time. It was definitely a crowd pleasing act. Some other acts included 3 women crammed inside one barrel simultaneously, a team of guys jumping through hoops 10 feet in the air, trampoline gymnastics, and a large vase juggling act. I would explain more but there really are no words to describe it.

After the show all I needed and wanted to do was go back to the hotel and work on assignments. About 20 minutes after we had gotten back, I heard Devin knocking at the door, "Penny… Penny… Penny…" just like Sheldon off of Big Bang Theory. Eventually Devin, Dan, and Adam drug me out of the hotel and down the block for a late-night McDonald’s trip. It is a theory on this trip that if you eat McDonald’s you will be cured of all stomach problems. After having a stomachache for a week that no amount of Tums or Cipero would cure, I figured I could give McDonald’s a try; plus they were not going to give me a choice anyways. McNuggets and a McFlurry never tasted so wonderful! And oddly enough, my stomachache went away. Don’t ask, I still do not understand how it works!

No comments:

Post a Comment